Friday, November 7, 2008

Coming Back

I'm coming back! I don't know how frequently, but I'll do my best. I felt self-conscious about my last post but I've met so many people, even on Etsy, who also are trying to navigate during the best of times and the worst of times. (Rings a bell, somehow)

I'm working daily on recovery and am going to relate my story, a little at a time. This is about recycling ME. I was at a time in my life when I felt so shiny and new, felt thrown away and am now on the precipice of re-purposing myself so I invite you to share this journey with me.

I was fired from my 26 year teaching career on Friday. I've been fighting a total lie for 3 years now and it finally took away part of my soul.

In 2006 I created a worksheet containing 10 math problems-8 different concepts. I was teaching 6th grade in a school with 12 sixth grade math teachers so I gave a copy to other teachers of math in our 6th grade group. I gave this worksheet to them after our first day of state achievement testing-right after all of our students had completed the reading test. When I gave the worksheet to the teachers, it was my intention for them to use it if they wanted to or not if they didn't. The 8 questions were based upon areas of difficulty my students had experienced so it seemed that other 6th graders would also need additional practice. As I gave this worksheet to the teachers, I thought I was clearly exaggerated and outrageous when I joked to them using comments like, "Don't send this home.", "Shread this when you're done." or "Chew this up and swallow it. Destroy the evidence!"

Totally without my knowledge, my comment made one teacher uneasy and he subsequently helped create an exaggerated concern with some of the other teachers. Instead of anyone's coming to ask me about their questions concerning my comments, one of the teachers turned me in to the administration of the school.

In the meantime, the remainder of the testing week went by without incident. The Thursday before the final day of our school's testing was my birthday. As was our tradition in our 6th grade, we gathered to eat lunch together, chat, joke and MOST IMPORTANTLY eat CAKE! As usual, it was a fun and much too short time spent among "friends". Little did I know of the talk and worry among the colleagues whom I held so dear. I wouldn't find out about any problem until first thing Monday morning!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried the Green Bag yet? I got mine at Harriet Carter