Tuesday, April 8, 2008

What Comes First?

Business, clubs, activities, friends, chores, errands children? I think we'd all agree that our children are first in our lives compared to these other demands of our time. Do they know that? Tonight I was working on a bag while my son was nearby talking to me about something. As I worked I looked at him occasionally and muttered, "Uh huh" a couple of times. We finished the conversation and he left the room. I don't remember about what we were talking.

That bothers me. As soon as I realized I really didn't know or remember what had been discussed I felt alarmed. I missed a golden moment. My son is almost 18! If you know anything about teenagers you know that conversations are sometimes rare. It can be a real treat to actually have a conversation that doesn't include a teen rolling eyes, huffing and sighing in disdain or snorting.

I try to remember to drop what I'm doing and be totally engaged with my family when they're talking to me. I don't always do well. At the time I believe I'm multi-tasking but I really am not if I forget the most important thing that has transpired during my burst of efficiency.

If you've never heard Harry Chapin's "Cat's in the Cradle". Listen to it or look up the lyrics. I need to sing that song more often.

No comments: